1. NHS encourages student achievement.
NHS membership provides opportunities for students grades 10-12 to reach their fullest potential in school and in life.
- Project resources and tools to enhance leadership development and service learning skills strengthens the ability of students to make significant contributions to their schools and communities.
- Conferences and workshops at the national and state level help students hone their leadership abilities, discover motivational activities, and gain fresh ideas they can use to improve their schools.
- The NHS scholarship program awards a quarter of a million dollars each year to deserving NHS seniors nationwide, ensuring that exemplary students are able to continue their academic careers.
2. NHS brings a tradition of excellence to your school.
There is only one NHS. The National Honor Society has been recognizing outstanding student achievement since 1921. Chartering an NHS chapter at your school is the perfect way to establish a tested framework for promoting the ideas of scholarship, leadership, service, and character.
NHS membership is a distinction that holds significance throughout a student's academic life - and beyond. The official NHS insignia is a symbol of excellence proudly worn by members and widely recognized by school administrators, faculty members, students, and parents alike.
3. NHS supports your faculty and student members.
NHS chapters receive exclusive access to leadership training programs, publications, and online resources. In addition to support from the national office, every NHS chapter receives:
- Our comprehensive National Honor Society Handbook, containing information chapter advisers need to manage and grow your chapter
- Six issues/year of Advise, our magazine for student program advisers
- The ability to purchase official NHS paraphernalia in our store
- Scholarship and award opportunities
- A monthly e-newsletter, Honor Society News, with timely project ideas, event invitations, articles, and other reminders
- Discounts on programs and conferences, including LEAD conferences
- Access to member-only areas of NHS.us
- An optional official NHS charter to frame and display with pride
4. NHS serves your community.
Each year, following NHS national guidelines, Honor Society chapters throughout the country collectively dedicate countless hours to school and community service projects, as well as fundraisers for local, national, and international charities. Instilling these values early in life helps lay the groundwork for a lifetime of service.