NHS encourages student achievement
As a school leader, one of your primary concerns likely is to promote positive school climate and provide opportunities to motivate all students to reach their greatest potential in school and in life. You also have a responsibility to ensure your students are college and career ready.
The National Honor Society (NHS) accomplishes this like no other program. Through NHS, you can recognize your highest achieving students in grades 10-12 with a unique experience that provides a springboard to life. NHS offers:
- Support for students and parents with college admission and financial aid planning, leveraging unique member-only resources and tools, including webinars, virtual events, and scholarship search.
- Assistance in making the dream of higher education possible through the highly acclaimed NHS Scholarship program. Since 1946, this program has awarded 16,000-plus scholarships totaling more than $13 million to seniors who best reflect the values of NHS.
- Leadership development and student empowerment opportunities, through events like LEAD Conferences.
- An affinity for service, enabling students to make significant contributions to their schools and communities.
Watch and learn how NHS will make a difference for your students…and your school!
NHS serves your community
With an NHS chapter, your school has an opportunity to strengthen its reputation in the community. Honor Society students become outstanding ambassadors for your school and undertake meaningful community service projects. Based on reporting by affiliated schools, in recent years Honor Society chapters individually have contributed on average 1,161 hours to school and community service; $26,000 in charitable donations; and 1,100 pounds of food to local, state, and national causes. Service projects often become life-changing experiences for members who discover new passions and callings.
NHS supports your faculty and student members
NHS chapters receive exclusive access to leadership training programs, publications, and online resources. In addition to support from the national office, every NHS chapter receives:
- Our national magazine, Advise, filled with content written specifically for student program advisers to provide support and inspiration
- The ability to purchase official NHS merchandise in our store
- Exclusive access to application materials for the NHS Scholarship program
- Recognition opportunities for both student programs and outstanding advisers
- A monthly e-newsletter, Honor Society News, with the latest news about programs and resources, timely project ideas, and event invitations
- Access to member-only areas of this website, including the Adviser Resource Center, featuring chapter management tools and resources
- Discounts on programs and conferences, including LEAD Conferences
- Access to our comprehensive National Honor Society Handbook, containing chapter management essentials
NHS brings a tradition of excellence to your school
There is only one National Honor Society. NHS has been recognizing outstanding student achievement since 1921. Starting an NHS chapter at your school is the perfect way to establish a tested framework for promoting the ideals of scholarship, service, leadership, and character.
NHS membership is a distinction that holds significance throughout a student’s academic life—and beyond.