Since 1946, more than $15 million in scholarships has been awarded to outstanding NHS senior members. The scholarship program is supported by the parent organization of NHS, the National Association of Secondary School Principals (NASSP).
The NHS Scholarship application process opens on Thursday, October 1 at 9 a.m. (ET).
The link to the live application will be posted here on October 1.
- Must be a current high school senior graduating with the class of 2021
- Must be an active NHS member in good standing with a verified student account
- Must be enrolled at a school with an active NHS chapter
- Must be planning to enroll at a U.S. college or university in Fall, 2021
How to Apply
- NHS Members must create a student account before they can access the NHS Scholarship application.
- The NHS adviser must verify the student’s membership before the student can begin the application.
- Important: Applicants should not attempt to access the application until they receive confirmation that their adviser has verified their account.
- Verified NHS members may start the NHS Scholarship Application beginning on October 1.
- All applications must be accompanied by one recommendation, and certification by the NHS adviser by the deadline in order to be considered complete. Incomplete applications are not evaluated.
View detailed information in the NHS Scholarship Application Guides:
- NHS Scholarship Application Overview
- NHS Scholarship Student Application Guide – All applicants should read and download this guide prior to starting the application process.
- NHS Scholarship Adviser Guide
- NHS Scholarship Recommender Guide – Applicants should share this guide with their selected recommender.
- NHS Scholarship Application process opens: Thursday, October 1, 2020 at 9 a.m. (ET)
- NHS Scholarship Deadline: Tuesday, December 1 at 5 p.m. (ET).
- Award Selection Notification: April 2021
- Scholarship acceptance or deferral request deadline: July 1, 2021
- Scholarship Disbursement: Checks are mailed in early August 2021.
1 National Winner – $25,000 scholarship
24 national finalists – $5,625 scholarship
575 national semifinalists – $3,200 scholarship
Total scholarships awarded: 600
Total scholarship distribution: $2 million
Additional Scholarship Information
The National Honor Society is committed to helping students achieve their secondary education goals, and provides the following resources to students and their families to help with the planning process.
Prepare for College from the Comfort of your Home Computer
NHS and NJHS members have exclusive access to an annual college readiness webinar series, featuring leading experts on a variety of topics.
Looking for the NHS Scholar Dollars tool? We recently retired it and are looking into new ways to bring more scholarship resources to students in our networks. In the interim, please visit the College Greenlight and College Board Big Future sites for comprehensive free information and also peruse NASSP’s Approved Contests, Activities list.
Search for Additional Scholarships